The aim of these teaching resources is to introduce primary and secondary school students to bioaerosols, their sources and the effects of dispersal and ventilation on the levels of biological particles in indoor and outdoor environments. The following learning outcomes are grouped according to Key Stages in the UK National Curriculum and are internationally relevant.
KEY STAGES 1-2 (AGE 5-11)
Students will be able to:
• identify types of bioaerosols
• identify sources of bioaerosols
• understand what a microorganism is
KEY STAGES 3-4 (AGE 11-16)
Students will complete all learning outcomes for KS1-2 and be able to:
• understand the different size ranges of bioaerosols
• identify different types of microorganisms
• understand the role of ventilation in indoor bioaerosol exposure
• understand the role of size in bioaerosol dispersal
• be aware of the health effects of bioaerosols
Scroll down to access the resources for free:
Teacher resources sheet overview
What are biological particles?
What are bioaerosols? (ppt presentation)
What is a microorganism? (ppt presentation)
Where do bioaerosols come from?
Indoor vs outdoor air
Metric measurement exercise
Pratical exercise: Grow your own airbone microorganisms